Every effort is made to ensure your Design Bay ring is manufactured to the highest standard of quality, however all precious metals and gemstones should be treated with care and Design Bay rings are certainly no exception.
Each precious metal and gemstone has unique properties, mineral hardness being the indication of scratch resistance. Diamonds are rated as the most resilient, therefore it is understood why diamonds are a girl’s best friend! Mohs scale of mineral hardness rates the scratch resistance of a mineral on a scale of 1 to 10. The higher the number, the greater the resistance. Diamonds have the highest rating of 10, followed by sapphires and rubies at 9; emeralds, aquamarine, topaz and cubic zirconia at 8; amethyst and citrine are rated at 7. Sterling silver, gold and platinum are only rated between 2.5 to 4, meaning extra care must be taken.
Here are some simple pointers to help keep your Design Bay ring retain that special sparkle;
- Remove your ring before showering, swimming and cleaning to avoid damage and decolourisation.
- Keep your ring in a safe place or store it in a jewellery box to avoid unwanted scratches when you’re not wearing it.
- Store your ring away from direct sunlight as this can cause gemstones like emeralds, amethyst and citrine to fade.
- Clean your ring with warm water and a soft brush of mild soap. Gently scrub, rinse and dry using a soft cloth.
Chemicals or even toothpaste can damage softer gemstones and metals, therefore should be avoided.
- If required, have your ring professionally cleaned and polished.
I hope these simple suggestions help you to protect your Design Bay ring, so that it can be treasured for a life time.